List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: XGL and kdm
From:       Adam Pigg <piggz1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-05 19:32:59

On Monday 05 February 2007 13:48:39 David Faure wrote:
> I know almost nothing about XGL :) However at the "Solution Linux 2007"
> expo in Paris, a user asked me why the "shutdown computer" and "restart
> computer" entries were missing in the logout dialog when using XGL. I
> debugged that on the person's laptop, and the answer is:
>
> XGL starts the kde session with DISPLAY set to :93.
> The KDE code (in kdmlib) uses DISPLAY to talk to kdm, which is running on
> :0. Therefore kdmlib can't talk to kdm, since it's looking for it at :93.
>
> What's the solution?
> Should XGL set another environment variable (INITIAL_DISPLAY or something)
> so that we can find out where kdm actually is?
> Or do we have another way of finding out kdm maybe, that would be resistant
> to XGL being in the middle and changing DISPLAY?

How about using aiglx instead?
Has XGL not been pretty much replaced by AIGLX now? Atleast the open source
drivers and proprietary nvidia use aiglx (or in the case of nvidia,
texture_from_pixmap), which leaves ATI, which im not sure about, perhaps
someone with an ATI card can comment.

--
PiggZ
adam@piggz.co.uk