List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing applications for KDE4
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2007-02-01 13:08:28

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, David Jarvie wrote:

> >But as Ian said I also fear the "2 system problem". I already stopped to
> >report bugs for KDE3 as they have plainly been ignored.
>
> A quick look at the changelog for KDE 3.5.6 will show you that lots of
> bugs are still being fixed for KDE 3. So there's no reason to stop
> reporting them yet.

That mainly depends on the fact who is the author of the component you
report bugs for and what the maintainers do. You know the situation as
well as I do. I e.g. have a watch on about 40 konqueror bugs. 4 of them
have been fixed in last year. 2 of them by myself, 1 with my help. 1 has
been fixed and afterwards been reverted, as the fix created other problems.
Leaves 1 fixed bug of 40.

I voted on 18 bugs in last year. 1 of these has been fixed.

I do not know if the BugTracking is a general KDE problem or KDE4 related,
but reporting bugs is not useful at the moment. A bugreport gets out of
sync really fast. No developer cares for bug reports older than half a
year. They are ignored (don't know if this is an active decision or not,
but it is like this - except if there are heavy arguments like high voting
numbers).

And a good bug report needs time. Let's assume 1 hour for an easy lowlevel
report, 3 hours for a deeper report and upto 1 week for really deep
things. I will not spend that time for nothing when I can choose what to
do. When bug reports get ignored I use my time for some of the
programming stuff I have to do.

Like everything else in open source land also bug reports compete over the
free time of developers.

Ciao