List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What about a glossary
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-31 11:19:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 10:43, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Ian Wadham napisaƂ(a):
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:11 pm, David Jarvie wrote:
> >> Glossaries might well be useful, but the proposed list of ambiguous
> >> English translatable strings is a separate idea. As I have proposed,
> >> that list would ideally be referenced by Krazy, whereas glossaries
> >> wouldn't be.
> >
> > Maybe this would be of interest http://rogersreference.com/rrdetail.htm
> > It is a dictionary (for sale) of English words that have several meanings
> > and are spelt the same, as well as words that sound the same, but have
> > different spellings and meanings.  Glancing at the example pages, though,
> > it might be too comprehensive for KDE needs.  I googled on "homonym
> > dictionary" BTW.
>
> Good idea, though we cannot use this dictionary, because it is not free.
> Maybe such information can be extracted from Wiktionary?

There was an earlier thread on -i18n-doc about using FP7 (European research
framework program 7) money for translation work. Now, since it's a *research*
project it won't pay for straightforward work, but it might do for research
into simplifying the work. This glossary discussion reminds me of it and I
can finally point to some kind of research topic.

One thing we need is detection of potentially ambiguous terms in source
code -- that is when the gettext calls don't have enough context.

Another thing is a glossary.

Another thing is detection of inconsistent translation. Not only within one
project but across (Open Source) projects. By increasing consistency, we
increase the acceptability of these projects in a SME environment in Europe
where training and translation costs are high.

Extending KBabel's automatic translation features with advanced natural
language processing in order to attempt translation *within the narrow
subject area covered by application translations* with higher accuracy will
increase the effectiveness of the translation tools.

The larger and broader a repository is, the more valuable it is for
translating software in a European context. By using NLP and AI techniques we
can attempt to speed up the translation process. This is possible because of
the fairly narrow scope of the translations. I think we could pull off a
research project on this subject, since the topic of machine translation
remains open and the use of localized Open Source products in Europe will
likely grow in importance. The support of "marginal" languages (not official
languages of the EU) may be of cultural interest.

I only know one NLP research group, and they are mostly focused on search and
mostly in English. I'd be interested in hearing from other researchers (both
NLP as AI as DB) on -devel or -i18n-doc if there is interest in trying to
write up such a proposal formally. We would need at least two research groups
from Universities in different countries and some corporate tie-in as well.
Are there Open-Source friendly translation agencies? How do local governments
(like Extremadura) check and extend translation quality?

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot