List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Announce] KPDF2-0.3.0 released
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-30 17:11:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 2:55, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> happening in Gnome - think Compiz/Beryl, Matisse, accessibility
> framework, etc.

so ... composited window managers and accessibility framework.

the former is a work in progress on all fronts, overstated in importance and
actually benefits everyone anyways (kde 3.5 has had patches go in so the
taskbar and pager apparently work properly with beryl/compiz), so let's look
at the accessibility framework.

that's something we lacked in kde2 and kde3. it's something that is coming in
kde4, and with very little help from the community. the bulk of that effort
is being born by trolltech with the qdbus and qaccessible work. that's not
something we could bolt onto kde3. iow you want something big (a11y
framework) and we're doing it in the only place we realistically can.

you also overstate the state of a11y in other open source projects. have you
actually tried to set such a thing up, or are you speaking from the
perspective of someone who reads the press releases? because a11y is anything
but a solved issue; many distros are pushing for an easier installation and
set up path for the existing corba based systems because they are just that
baroque.

> KDE might have a breakthrough technology coming up, but it is taking too
> long and users do not want to wait.

there are ways to speed up the process, and users are waiting particularly as
we feed out more 3.5.x releases.

> I think the timing for KDE4 development is really unfortunate. This year
> is the year when Vista comes out and there is an opportunity to draw
> disappointed Windows users to Linux. Stalling improvements in existing
> and proved technology (KDE3) in order to present them with brilliant
> technology later (KDE4) is not going to help. It will be too late.

i wish it were that obvious and clear cut. there are limitations in kde3 that
are stuck with as long as we stick to our commitments on things like binary
compatibility.

remember, we were too late when kde started in 1997 with a stable release in
1998. kde 2.0 was too late as it took 2 years to get completed. it hasn't
stopped us yet. which is to say, things may not be perfect, but we manage
with what we get. and we get better things as people pitch in.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se