List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing applications for KDE4
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-30 7:33:57

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 07:23, Ian Wadham wrote:
> KDE4 has all the symptoms ... continually receding completion estimates,
> no definite schedule, no firm specification or feature list, plenty of
> assertions about how great it is going to be ...  Unfortunately I have
> witnessed several projects with similar characteristics sink under the
> weight of "improvements" to a system which was previously a success.
> I fervently hope KDE4 will not go there, but I am certainly getting tired
> of what appears to be "mushroom management" in this project.

I would want you on the release team. Seriously. Right now we're putting our
faith in the community's continuing ability to self-organize in order to
drive development forward. Jason and Tom and others are on that release team
already.

The idea of regular -- every 3 months or so -- KDE4 preview releases each time
with a new technology "done" has been suggested in some circles, but that
really needs a release team to set the schedule and try to steer development
and effort (also as a foil to the question "gee, why weren't you helping
*build* kdelibs the past seven months so that everyone could get started
faster?")

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/