List:       kde-devel
Subject:    [Wish] Title, Address and Date format
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-01-29 13:36:16

Hello,

I'm not a developer but subscribed to this list to ask you a favor.  As a
Japanese translator, I have couple of wishes.

1. Title

When it refers to persons, we say 肩書 or 称号.
When it refers to documents, we say タイトル or 題名.

It is translated as 肩書 in kdelibs.po, but it also appears in the property
of audio files in konqueror, where it should be タイトル.

kdelibs/kdelibs.po
#: kab/addressbook.cc:263 kabc/addressee.cpp:683
msgid "Title"

2. Address

When it is a street/postal address, we say 住所.
When it is an email, IM or Web address, we say アドレス.

However, these strings are currently used for both.

kdelibs/kdelibs.po
#: kab/addressbook.cc:192 kabc/field.cpp:205
kabc/scripts/field.src.cpp:101
msgid "Address"

kdepim/kaddressbook.pot
#. i18n: file editors/imaddressbase.ui line 24
#: addresseditwidget.cpp:262 editors/imeditorwidget.cpp:369 rc.cpp:63
#, no-c-format
msgid "Edit Address"

As a result, "住所" appears in the IM address edit dialog and "アドレスを編集" for
both street address and IM address in KAddressbook.   It would be nice if
there are separate strings so I can translate them properly in each
context.

3. Date format

Long or short, the Japanese date format is always in the order of YEAR
MONTH DATE WEEKDAY.  Most apps honor my settings in kcontrol,
i.e. YYYY年mM月dD日 (SHORTWEEKDAY) and YYYY-MM-DD but some don't.
For example, the preview in KIPI Time and Date Adjust looks like this:

月 1月 29 22:25:00 2007 (WEEKDAY MONTH DATE TIME YEAR)

2007年1月29日 (月) 22:25:00 is expected for my settings.

Also, "A of B" is almost always "BのA" in Japanese. There are twelve
strings like this in kdelibs.po.

kdelibs/kdelibs.po
#: kdecore/kcalendarsystemgregorian.cpp:156 kdecore/klocale.cpp:591
msgid ""
"_: of January\n"
"of Jan"

If it is used in combination with other strings as in "the third week of
Jan" or "3rd of Jan", I'd like to translate it as a whole, which would
be "1月の第3週" or "1月3日" in Japanese.

Thank you.

Yukiko