List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Move KSirc to extragear
From:       "Jaison Lee" <lee.jaison () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-24 23:18:46

>  - the added work for developers who have to release their own apps is onerous
>  - it will make it harder to find the application
>  - people should have every application possible installed so they can explore
> them
>
> am i missing any bullet items there?

sort of. If I had to bullet point my own thoughts on this:

- Extragear is tougher for developers.
  -- No help with releases. No help with codebase changes.

- Extragear is tougher for users.
  -- If you know how to hunt it down and install it yourself:
    --- Now you get to do that everytime the app has a new release...
which you now have to keep an eye on yourself, too.
  -- If you don't know how to find it and install it:
    --- You must not know how to use IRC, because EVERYONE who does
loves to install things. :p

- A module named kdefoo should have foo programs in it. It may even
have more than one of the same kind of foo program. It may have some
foo programs that I personally won't use.  A module should strive to
be as robust in its foo-ness as possible. If it has no kind of one
type of foo, then that is an omission and is unfortunate.

And most importantly:

- Theories about suspected userbases of programs espoused by a bunch
of programmers on a mailing list should not be grounds for removal or
denial of inclusion. Programs should be removed for technical reasons
only. Lack of a maintainer is more than sufficient enough without
getting into what technology is more worthy than others. I believe
that way lies madness.