List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Move KSirc to extragear
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-24 22:36:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 13:44, Bill Sanders wrote:
> > > KStars falls into EXACTLY this category and I don't see anyone
> > > bickering for its removal, despite the fact that it is an ungodly huge
> > > chunk of code.
> >
> > it's not about size. it's about the educational software collection:
> > astronomy is, in that scope, a huge area of endeavor and interest.
>
> So is marine biology....?  Hence an edu program about such...?

i could fathom (har, har!) a biology app in KDE/kdeedu, just as we have apps
for chemistry, astronomy and geography. an app that explores marine
crustaceans (the example i used earlier) only would be more of a stretch
imho.

> > > What happens to kcharselect and khexedit?
> >
> > a character picker is a critical utility for what should be obvious
> > reasons. in the scope of a developer's toolkit, a hex editor is similarly
> > critical.
>
> I thought the point about not including an IRC client was because its a
> niche app?  Isn't a hex editor - which will only be used by developers, and
> only *some* developers at that - also a niche app?

that's why it is in kdesdk versus kdebase. the modules are addons for specific
genres of interest, no?

so viewed within their respective context, a hex editor is probably more
generally relevant to the topic of software development* than a stand-alone
irc client is to the average computer network usage.

* (or at least used to be? seems fewer programmers have need for hex editors
these days ... )

> Anecdotally, I know way more people who use IRC (who aren't necessarily
> geeks, fwiw) than would even begin to understand what a hex editor does,
> let alone have used one

would these people probably install a software developer's kit (kdesdk) at
all?

> > > How come an IRC client doesn't
> > > make the cut but a DICT client and an LIRC program does?
> >
> > dict client: because looking up the meaning of a word is common and DICT
> > is designed to do just that.
> > lirc program: because without that you can't (easily) use IR hardware.
> >
> > irc program: exhibits none of the above attributes.
>
> FACK on the dictionary client, but LIRC?  I've never even met anyone who
> owned IR hardware for their computer,

many laptops (used to?) come with irDA ports.

> and that's certainly a case where the
> idea of "if you know what it is, you know where to find the software for
> it" would come into play, I'd think.

when it comes to hardware i want it to just work. i like that i don't need to
install extra software to get the volume keys on my keyboard to work and put
up a cute little volume meter or to assign functions to the other extra keys.
even if not everyone has keyboards with funky extra keys, it's still worth
providing support for that kind of stuff out of the box. is this a common
expectation for users to have?

if irDA is a dead or dieing technology which has become rare "in the wild",
then you're probably right that it should be moved out of the main module.
i don't keep up enough with hardware trends of that sort to know, hopefully
someone else does =)

> I suppose its all moot, as it doesn't appear that anyone wants to take over
> ksirc and the konversation folks are content where they are, but I have to
> agree with Jason that this isn't a win for KDE.

... and that sentiment is something i'm still trying to understand. so far
i've got:

 - the added work for developers who have to release their own apps is onerous
 - it will make it harder to find the application
 - people should have every application possible installed so they can explore
them

am i missing any bullet items there?

--
Aaron J. Seigo