List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Move KSirc to extragear
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-24 19:10:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 7:40, Jaison Lee wrote:
> maintainer is now responsible not only for his own releases but also
> has to handle codebase changes that would normally be handled for him
> in a module. Translations probably also suffer.

this sounds like, as ade pointed out in his last email in this thread that
perhaps we should be looking to improve the processes in KEG.

> You pick 3 apps that have a HUGE developer community to do all this.

with the exception of amarok, those apps don't have a large developer
community. they do have large user bases though, "despite" being in KEG

> There are many more apps in extragear that are bitrotting, and will

we also have many apps in the main modules that are bitrotting. keeping them
out of KEG hasn't solved that problem.

> years of KDE4 development. If, for example, I were asked to move KJots
> to extragear because it has a niche market and an alternative in the
> wild, I would be forced to abandon it. I don't have the time to do
> what's necessary without the help of the greater KDE community.

this is, imho, a very fair statement and is something we ought to address: how
to limit/minimize the release efforts as a reason not to be in KEG.

we have kdesdk/scripts/svn2dist which needs porting to cmake, for instance. it
takes care of most of the packaging needs, but perhaps people aren't aware
enough of the tools in kdesdk/scripts.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se