List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Move KSirc to extragear
From:       Anarky <anarky () ifrance ! com>
Date:       2007-01-24 11:18:08

Le mercredi 24 janvier 2007 08:58, Cyrille Berger a écrit :
> > no, i'm espousing another way of packaging applications.
>
> It's a good idea, but only with an easy way to find KDE application.
> One might think that this is a distribution work, but if we want to reduce
> the size of kde modules, we also need an easy way to install other KDE
> application and to advertise them from the KDE Desktop.
>
> It's the only strong point (</personal opinion>) of adept on kubuntu, you
> have in the kmenu an entry "Add/remove programs" limited to KDE
> applications, I personnaly thinks it's the way to go: "I need an irc client
> ?" "Ah, I have an a 'Add/Remove programs' in my kmenu, lets search for on".

What I'd like is to have on every application category submenu of the K menu
an entry "add programs ..."
Clicking this entry would propose to install KDE application that belong to
this category.
The basic KDE implementation would simply redirect to a web page that list
these applications, then, it's up to the distro's to make that use their
package manager.

I don't think shipping application by sets is still a really good idea.
If KDE is to become an umbrella that covers KDE desktop, KDE applications, KDE
office, and so on, why not ship :
1) KDELibs, including kdelibs and kdepimlibs
2) KDE Desktop, kwin, kicker, and son on ...
3) KDE Desktop extra, everything that depend on KDE Desktop (kicker applets,
etc ...), but with a fine grained packaging, ie applet by applet
4) KDE Applications, everything else, but again, with a fine grained
packaging, app by app

That's what the users I know want. Nobody want that removing one game he
doesn't like remove all other games.
I know someone who wanted to remove a game he wa too addicted to. He had to
uninstall all KDE games. A shame !

Regards,

Anarky