List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Regarding system tray
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2007-01-22 9:22:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Richard Moore napisaƂ(a):
>> As far as I can see, Kopete is using KPassivePopup and not KNotify to
>> show its notification:
>> http://lxr.kde.org/source/KDE/kdenetwork/kopete/libkopete/knotification.cpp?v=3.5-branch#163
>
> You need to use KPassivePopup directly for this. To make the popup
> stay on the screen until clicked, set the timeout to 0. If
> KPassivePopup is passed the window that's in the system tray it will
> correctly position itself.

OK. If I have to use KPassivePopup, I will just rip the code from Kopete :)
Though, for KDE4 I think the following could be done for KNotify interface:
- Let app position popup itself by passing position (passing Window ID
is not very convenient)
- Allow popups to contain clickable links which allow running apps (by
passing name of executable in href) or short scripts (in JavaScript).
- Add plugins/stylesheets for popup look :)

This would make popups fully programmable from scripts, matching
functionality of "kstart" and "ksystraycmd" tools :)

> If you merely want something in the system tray to run an app, you can
> use ksystraycmd, it can also swallow an app to the tray. This tutorial
> explains the sort of thing it can do:
> http://xmelegance.org/customising-window-behaviour/html/customising-window-behaviour.html

I think I saw it as a part of KDE Userguide :)

> Hope that helps

Yes, thanks a lot! :)

	Krzysztof Lichota