List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2007-01-18 9:53:40

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 23:32, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.01.07 16:09:28, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> > > Why would you want it to indent more than it is supposed to?
> >
> > ...because the indenter isn't Perfect(tm) and can't read my mind?
> > (If it could, then it would be Perfect(tm) :-).)
>
> FACK.
>
> Especially emacs indenter can't read my mind at all. I tried to hack on
> kde files last year with emacs and it couldn't cope at all with the
> existing indentation. Of course this might have been just me not
> configuring something, but it shouldn't keep people to do what they want. I
> already get that attitude from the few GTK apps I have to use.

Hold on. (X)Emacs is probably the single most customisable piece of software
around, if it didn't do what you wanted, it's indeed because you
didn't "configure something", which is admittedly far from obvious in most
cases, but is still the exact opposite of GTK apps which you generally can't
configure at all.

That said, Kate's "indenter" is still a joke, it's barely existent. It merely
consists of being able to insert tabs at the beginning of several lines at
once, nothing more. Even the one in Eclipse CDT, as primitive as it is, still
works better, but the best remains Emacs by far (at least when it comes to
C/C++ - for Java it's Eclipse again).

(while I'm ranting on Kate/KDevelop, did they still have this useless 'class
tree' which shows every single class of the project as the sole mean of
navigating through classes ?)

--
Guillaume.
http://telegraph-road.org