List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing configuration modules
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-01-14 5:13:04

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> Try setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to $KDEDIR/etc/xdg and running
>>> kbuildsycoca again.
>> ...that did it! Thanks!
>>
>> Now... what did I do wrong that I had to do what you just said? :-)
>
> You? Nothing. Your distribution changed the menu structure
> in /etc/xdg/menu (XDG_CONFIG_DIRS defaults to /etc/xdg if unset). They
> probably patch KDE to cope with those changes.
>
> But when you build an unpatched KDE, it couldn't cope with
> their "breakage". In all, if you're running a self-built KDE, I also
> recommend setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to KDE's (uniquely or primarily). You
> should also set XDG_DATA_DIRS to $KDEDIRS/share:/usr, even though KDE
> automatically searches KDEDIRS for the XDG data.

Ok, makes sense, thanks for the info! Also, it looks like if I want to
keep things from "breaking" I need to set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS permanently
(i.e. in someone's profile... and I think I'm going to be mean to FC and
use /etc/profile.d :-)). I noticed it made my menu structure totally
different, and now it went back (probably because I've been building
other stuff).

Anyway, thanks again. :-)

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)