List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: UID / kuser / kdm
From:       "Gary L. Greene, Jr." <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2007-01-10 18:53:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 12:37, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> just had an interesting discussion with an South African guy administrating
> a school. It's all about at which minimum UID "normal" users start. kuser
> defaults to 500 while kdm defaults to 1000 with the result that kdm doesn't
> display the first 500 users created with kuser. :-(
>
> The solution for 3.5.x could be to change the defaults so they match.
>
> Wouldn't it be much better for KDE4 to have a global setting? Sure, nobody
> can force application developers to use that global, but they can at least.
>
> Uwe

Why not have it be a configurable item at build time? I know that there are
distributions out there that default to 1000 being the norm (SuSE comes to
mind) and others that prefer 500 and above (most RH-like and Debian distros).
This would make it so those of us working on distros don't have to patch
things to promote our distro policy in the applications.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net