List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: a desktop wide "presence state" handling
From:       Anarky <anarky () ifrance ! com>
Date:       2006-12-21 0:03:13

Christopher Blauvelt wrote :
> Why couldn't it merely be a "state change" signal with a bitmask as a
> parameter telling you the status (away, busy, available, playing football,
> whatever)?  It seems like this would be the easiest to work with.
That's part of the specification I propose, see at
http://presenced.free.fr/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=Specification
"The presence protocol"

> This
> would also work with statuses that don't make sense to some applications,
> like "invisible" which is only applicable to IM clients, in that you could
> have multiple presence statuses (invisible and away).
For that, what I propose is to have categories "IM, screensaver, multimedia,
etc ..."
For the IM category, there would be all these states, but for screensaver, the
states would be different (started or not), and for multimedia there would be
a third set of states (normal, muted, stoped).
At any time, one state per category would be active.

The choice of which state is active for each category would be selected using
various information sources (how long since you last moved the mouse, is your
bluetooth phone detected near the computer, are you using a video player,
etc ... )

This would be configurable in a centralized place.

Again, you can know more about what I propose here
http://presenced.free.fr/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=Specification

> Chris

Julien