List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: virtual keyboard in KDE4?
From:       Holger Freyther <freyther () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-12-16 11:15:03

Am 16.12.2006 um 09:02 schrieb Stefan Kombrink:

> Hi,
>
>  I've running Kubuntu and KDE 3.5.5 on a Samsung Q1 tablet PC.
> This device is rather small (7" screen width), has no keyboard and
> provides a touch screen.
> Finally I got all devices to work properly - the main reason I am
> still running Win only is simply that
> there doesn't seem to exist any proper virtual keyboard which
> embedds in KDE like the one under Win.
> I wonder whether there are plans to integrate an virtual keyboard
> in the core of KDE4?
> I believe the functionality is neccessary in kdelibs since it
> should be accessible everythere (especially in KDM).
>
> Does somebody know if there are already such achievements underway
> or whether this idea is welcomed by the core developers?

I don't know achievements from within KDE but there are plenty of Gtk
+ handhelds devices and software that could interest you is:
	gpe-dm with onscreen keyboard
	matchbox windowmanager from the creator of Xephyr
	matchbox includes and has hooks for various input mechanisms
including xstroke, rosetta and onscreen keyboard
	maemo uses matchbox and has added various input hints to the Gtk
widgets which allows to automatically toggle input methods. One can
use that as inspiration for KDE as this is Free Software.

z.