List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about running KDE
From:       Franklin <franklin () goodhorse ! idv ! tw>
Date:       2006-11-27 8:02:44

Thiago Macieira's messages:
> Franklin wrote:
> > 1. Where does kbuildsycoca look for services list?   I.E., the running
> > kbuildsycoca, where does it find the service list and build sycoca
> > cache?
>
> $KDEDIRS/share/applications and $XDG_DATA_DIRS/share/applications
>
> Since the file is called kde/kcontrol.desktop, the slash gets converted to
> a dash.
>
> However, I've just confirmed that the file is kde/KControl.desktop. So it
> looks like your cache is wrong somehow...

Hi,

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

I have deleted my sycoca cache (in /tmp/kdecache-*/sycoca*) and rebuilt it,
but still not able to launch kcontrol from menu item.

This time  the condition was different.  Here is the log:

kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got start_service_by_desktop_name('kcontrol', ...)
klauncher: findServiceByDesktopName _name: kcontrol
klauncher: findServiceByDesktopName offset 0
klauncher: findServiceByDesktopName _name: kde-kcontrol
klauncher: findServiceByDesktopName offset 0

(The last 4 lines were added by myself.)

In kio/kio/kservicefactory.cpp KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopName(),
find_string returns 0.  Does this mean that there is no data in ksycoca
cache?  I tried to run kbuildsycoca again but the same result.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Franklin
--