List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Questions about running KDE
From:       Franklin <franklin () goodhorse ! idv ! tw>
Date:       2006-11-27 5:25:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi, list

I built and installed KDE 3.5.5 from SVN stable branches.
Now I got some problems while running it.

KDE started successfully. However, some menu button became useless.
For example, I cannot launch Kcontrol from menu item.

I examined the log and found that the log said:

kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got start_service_by_desktop_name('kcontrol', ...)

So I took a look at source codes. I found that when it was looking for
service, it could only find kde-kcontrol but not kcontrol.

Therefore, in the KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopName(),
(kdelibs/kio/kio/kservicefactory.cpp, about line 127)

   // Check whether the dictionary was right.
   if (newService && (newService->desktopEntryName() != _name))
   {
      // No it wasn't...
      delete newService;
      newService = 0; // Not found
   }
   return newService;

the desktopEntryName() is "kde-kcontrol", _name is "kcontrol", the newService
always returns NULL.

I don't know why it can only find kde-kcontrol but not kcontrol.  I don't know
why kbuildsycoca built as kde-control but not kcontrol.  I tried to look at
kbuildyscoca, added some log text, and found that its service name is:

kio (KLauncher): KSycocaFactory: add Entry name #parent#kcontrol

Could anyone please tell me,

1. Where does kbuildsycoca look for services list?  I.E., the running
kbuildsycoca, where does it find the service list and build sycoca cache?
2. Does #parent#kcontrol means kde-kcontrol here? If so, how could I get the
correct behavior?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Franklin