List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Idea]Context Sensitive file dialog
From:       "Parker Coates" <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-30 18:12:58

On 9/30/06, Nikhil Marathe <nsm.nikhil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically when a user downloads or saves a file the KIO system can
> analyse the file metadata to decide what should be the default location
> to specify in the save dialog. For example for mp3/ogg/other audio files
> it could be ~/Music, for OO.o/KOffice files ~/Documents and stuff like
> that. And of course the user could set his own custom directories from
> the control center.

While this is an interesting idea, I think it would be just as likely
to get in the user's way as help them out. For example in you proposed
system, say I have configured ~/documents as my default download
location for PDFs. Now imagine I want to consecutively download three
homework assignments (in PDF format) to my ~/school/course101
directory. Each time, the dialogue will start in ~/documents and I
will have to find ~/school/course101 myself.

I therefore recommend a combination of the current solution (remember
last directory) and your solution (mimetype specific directories),
which is, of course, "remember the last directory for each mimetype".
All in all, I think this is both intuitive and efficient. It also
avoids the need for yet another configuration dialog, which I would
consider a major bonus. Any behaviour more advanced than this should,
in my opinion, be relegated to an extension, such as this one for
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/25

Anyway, those are just my thoughts,

Parker