List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing into KDE programming
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rafael_Fern=E1ndez_L=F3pez?=" <ereslibre () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-26 22:47:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi guys,

2006/9/26, Michael Pyne <michael.pyne@kdemail.net>:

> On Tuesday 26 September 2006 11:37, Rafael Fern=E1ndez L=F3pez wrote:
> > I know that a obvious response is that you may work in terminal with
> emacs
> > or something (as I do lots of times when programming), but I really lik=
> > KDE, so I use it for my personal window manager, file manager and so
> on...
> > despite the fact that I do use xemacs for programming.
>
> I'm the author of the kdesvn-build tool that Andras mentioned
> earlier.  The
> way I have it work is I created a completely separate user to build and
> use
> KDE SVN in.  If I break KDE, I can simply go back to my old user and use
> the
> system KDE just fine.

Great !! I didn't think about that...

For awhile I would even use ssh to log in to my old user to check my email,
> but as KDE SVN become more stable I eventually became a full-time user of
> my
> SVN code.
>
> > The idea of having another tree (i.e ~/kde-devel) and play with KDEDIRS
> > variable could be interesting, but I DON'T want to compile kdebase any
> time
> > that I break kdesu for example when programming or something (i know
> that
> > is not necessary, but having a unclean tree makes me crazy).
>
> You could always just run make in the build directory for kdesu.
>
> i.e.
>
> $ cd build/kdebase/kdesu
> $ make
>
> instead of
>
> $ cd build/kdebase
> $ make
>
> > For that
> > reason I thought in downloading only apps that I would like to improve
> > (i.e. kate, kmail, kdesu...) and compile them with the include dir in m=
> > root system and the libraries in my kde root directory.
>
> You can do this (and you can even use kdesvn-build to help) but for some
> programs (konq especially) it's more trouble than it's worth.  I think it
> would work fine for kdesu though.  Basically it's something like this:
>
> $ svn co -N svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase
> $ cd kdebase
> $ svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kde-common/admin
> $ svn up kdesu

By this method I still can't compile. I don't know what's wrong, but make
tells me that there is not a Makefile (and there is not a Makefile).
aclocal, autoconf, automake, autoreconf always tell me the same story:
"`configure.ac' or `configure.in' is required" and the only thing I can see
that is the same more or less is configure.in.in.

Sorry for this lack of time, but I've used autotools before, but not for a
vast project as KDE.

This way you'll still have the kdebase module like you should (the KDE buil=
> system works off of modules, not individual programs), but it will only
> contain the kdesu program.
>
> Regards,
> - Michael Pyne

Thank you,