List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing into KDE programming
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-09-26 19:39:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 11:37, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> I know that a obvious response is that you may work in terminal with emacs
> or something (as I do lots of times when programming), but I really like
> KDE, so I use it for my personal window manager, file manager and so on...
> despite the fact that I do use xemacs for programming.

I'm the author of the kdesvn-build tool that Andras mentioned earlier.  The
way I have it work is I created a completely separate user to build and use
KDE SVN in.  If I break KDE, I can simply go back to my old user and use the
system KDE just fine.

For awhile I would even use ssh to log in to my old user to check my email,
but as KDE SVN become more stable I eventually became a full-time user of my
SVN code.

> The idea of having another tree (i.e ~/kde-devel) and play with KDEDIRS
> variable could be interesting, but I DON'T want to compile kdebase any time
> that I break kdesu for example when programming or something (i know that
> is not necessary, but having a unclean tree makes me crazy).

You could always just run make in the build directory for kdesu.

i.e.

$ cd build/kdebase/kdesu
$ make

instead of

$ cd build/kdebase
$ make

> For that
> reason I thought in downloading only apps that I would like to improve
> (i.e. kate, kmail, kdesu...) and compile them with the include dir in my
> root system and the libraries in my kde root directory.

You can do this (and you can even use kdesvn-build to help) but for some
programs (konq especially) it's more trouble than it's worth.  I think it
would work fine for kdesu though.  Basically it's something like this:

$ svn co -N svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase
$ cd kdebase
$ svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kde-common/admin
$ svn up kdesu

This way you'll still have the kdebase module like you should (the KDE build
system works off of modules, not individual programs), but it will only
contain the kdesu program.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne