List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SVG source of KDE's icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-09-03 3:42:21

Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 01 September 2006 07:43, Cyrille Berger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for the SVG version of KDE's icons, I need to create a
>> derivate of the "transform" icon for the perspective tool of krita, and as
>> I want our transform tool and perspective tool to have a similar icon, I
>> wanted to use the transform icon as a base, but I can't find where is the
>> svg version of it ? Can someone help me ?
>>
>> (I doubt it's really the correct list, but somehow, even if it's not code,
>> it's a developement question, isn't it ?)
>
> The SVG sources are held by Everaldo. While some are in SVN, most of them are
> not. If others on the list have better information about this than what I
> know, please correct me.

Actually, the sources are AI files. This caused problems because Adobe
added extensions to SVG and export to SVG results in SVGs that will only
render correctly with the Adobe SVG NS plugin.  So, if he released the
SVG files, they contain Adobe SVG extensions that really need to be
removed with a text editor for them to be usable.

A possible solution to this problem would have been to provide the AI
files that had Acrobat Reader display enabled.  But he doesn't seem to
be willing to do this.

He has released some AI files and some of those do have Acrobat Reader
display enabled.  I have tried working with some of these.  But,
currently this wasn't a total solution to the problem.  Although it is
theoretically possible to print to a PS file and convert it to an EPS,
this results in EPS files that render correctly with The GIMP, but won't
open in Karbon and won't convert with other programs.

The problem appears to be that his AI files are much to complex -- much
more complex than is needed for icons 128x128 and smaller.

And, although he claims the LGPL license he is not willing to release
all the source files (AI) as required by the license so that someone
with a copy of Adobe Illustrator could work with them.

--
JRT