List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE vs. QT classes: overlaps and choosing
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2006-08-26 22:25:16

On Saturday 26 August 2006 09:47, Jerry Blanco wrote:
> So, the questions:
> a) Is it even possible to write a KDE application without using KDE
> classes? Is it advisable? (probably not, right?) Is it a good idea at
> all? b) If you want to use a hybrid approach, how do you decide if
> you're using a KDE or QT class in a specific instance? For example,
> how do you decide between QApplication and KApplication or
> KPushButton and QPushButton? Are they 100% compatible, in general?
> Does it matter if I use the K or Q class?

I'm one of the very few people who prefer plain-vanilla Qt over KDE. The
primary reason is that it makes it SOOOO much easier to port to Windows
and Mac OSX. I'm also a "lightweight is better" type of person, and I
don't want my software encumbered by libraries my users and I simply
don't need.

If you want your application fully integrated into the KDE desktop, or
want to use some of the cool KDE technology (kparts, etc), then you'll
need to make your app a KDE app. But if it's just a stand alone
application that doesn't need desktop integration, my opinion would be
to stick with Qt.

There is a third way, and that's to make your app buildable under both
KDE and plain-Qt. If configure detects KDE, then it would use
KApplication and KMainWindow, but would otherwise use QApplication and
QMainWindow. Most everything else can be pure Qt.

--
David Johnson <david@usermode.org>