List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE vs. QT classes: overlaps and choosing
From:       "Jerry Blanco" <grblanco () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-26 16:47:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,
I'm kinda new to KDE/QT development so I have some questions (simple and
rookie questions, probably):

In looking to coded for K... apps (like Krecipes), I notice they use a
'hybrid' approach, using some K... classes and some QT classes. As far as I
can see, KDE and QT classes overlap sometimes. The notorious example:
QApplication vs. KApplication. As far as I discern from the documentation,
they do the same thing.

I thought of using QT classes all along (using QApplication instead of
KApplication), just because I want to learn QT and be able to apply it in
different apps in the future, not necessarily tied to KDE, using QT as a
replacement of the STL, kinda.  But then I started wondering in code and I
see a bunch of KDE classes that are really cool (KDebug, for example).

So, the questions:
a) Is it even possible to write a KDE application without using KDE classes?
Is it advisable? (probably not, right?) Is it a good idea at all?
b) If you want to use a hybrid approach, how do you decide if you're using a
KDE or QT class in a specific instance? For example, how do you decide
between QApplication and KApplication or KPushButton and QPushButton? Are
they 100% compatible, in general? Does it matter if I use the K or Q class?

Thanks.
Jerry.

--
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ <- The question