List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RFC: Cbar scriptable sidebar
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2006-08-25 18:55:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I am happy to announce first preview release of Cbar - context sidebar
for Konqueror, similar to Metabar, but using Python scripts (like in
Superkaramba).

See http://lichota.net/~krzysiek/projects/cbar/ for screenshots,
documentation and source code. This release contains a few example
scripts to show capabilities of Cbar.

This is my first large piece of code for KDE (and pretty complicated),
so I would be glad if you reviewed the code and provide suggestions.
Especially that I am new to Python, new to KDE config system, new to
Kross and new to pyQt.
In particular, it would be great if you could advise on following issues:=

- Usage of Kross together with PyQt binding to pass QWidgets between
Python and C++ part. I have used sip.transferto() but I am not sure it
is done correctly. Also, why is it necessary to import all modules
inside each method? I guess my Python knowledge is not sufficient here...=

- Usage of KConfig system for location of scripts, using multiple
directories for config files, usage of desktop files for providing
information about scripts. I have used similar approach as in Konqueror
sidebar, i.e. parse .desktop files as config files. But I guess it could
be done better. Maybe use KTrader to locate scripts?
- Usage of buildsystem - I don't know automake/autoconf and it is hard
for me to modify it. For example I would like to precompile .py files to
=2Epyc. I know how to do it with Makefiles, but how to do it with Makefil=
e.am?
- Improving startup time. Currently there is noticeable delay when
opening sidebar for the first time. I guess some of this delay is due to
Python code not being precompiled, but probably there is more to this.
How could I, for example, force caching Cbar library instance and
reusing it in Konqueror?

The code contains a lot of debugging cruft, but it is fully functional.
There are also some minor issues with configuring scripts. I wanted to
push it out of the door before I go to vacation to get some feedback.
So, please comment :)

	Krzysztof Lichota