List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror has 1305 unconfirmed bugs
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2006-08-24 17:51:54

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Robin Atwood wrote:

> > Bug 77966? A good example for non-optimal bug reports (there are worser
> > ones, but your report qualifies as bad).

[...]

> I don't know how you were able to shop without logging in, I always get prompted for the
> account/password. Anyway, I have created a dummy account and updated the bug report with
> a step-by-step procedure as to how to recreate the bug.

Well, that's better. It is now a confirmed and reproducable bug. This does
not necessarily mean it will be fixed soon (as a myself cannot debug
Javascript errors), but the Javascript guys now have at least a chance to
do so.

BTW: A little big of nagging after some months may also help if
nothing changes (not too much, but a bit :-)

P.S. The comments about bug reports are not KDE specific. Your chances to
get errors fixed will increase a lot with better reports. Best chances are
still in fixing themself, but I know ...

P.P.S. I often hear, that learning programming is too difficult. I myself
think, that languages like e.g. Perl are easy to learn for beginners and
bring real benefit fast for some of the automation tasks which occur
sometimes (e.g. renaming lots of files, changing specific contents of
texts files, ...). And if one knows how to do programming, learning a new
language is much easier. And the next one a lot easier again. After 15
years I probably used 10-20 languages :-) And you will never forget the
orgasmic feelings when a program your wrote really does what you want.

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.de/ (PGP key available)