List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KCron Modifications
From:       "Gary L. Greene Jr." <greeneg () phoenuxos ! com>
Date:       2006-08-15 23:34:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 09:58, Jaison Lee wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Dave Rowe <dave@roweware.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to make some modifications to KCron, potentially overhauling
> > some of the pieces, while re-using much of the already written code.  My
> > question for the list would be, what format should KCron follow in the
> > way the crontab is written.  For instance, I would like to extend the
> > interface to include some of the 'Special' cases that Vixie cron supports
> > (e.g, @reboot, @yearly).
>
> Were you going to include some way to set it to "classic cron" mode so
> people with older crons (like Slackware users) don't try and set the
> fancy features they can't use?
>
> If you are feeling very adventurous you could even run 'crond
> --version' to try and get a baseline for what options to include.
> There can't be /that/ many crons...right?  :)

> >> unsubscribe <<

I'd recommend creating a library that can abstract the crond versions since
we've not just Vixie crond, but old BSD crond, SysV crond, and fcrond out in
the wild. This way KCron can at run time detect the crond installed on the
system (allowing Debian users to use whatever version they like that is in
the apt tree, plus the various other non-Linux platforms). Heck, I'd also
like to see KCron extended to include atd and since we're going to support
Windows to a certain level, why not add support for Windows Scheduling?