List:       kde-devel
Subject:    i18n and gettext
From:       Michael Rex <me () rexi ! org>
Date:       2006-07-20 20:09:03

Hi,

I recently pretty much rewrote an app I wrote for KDE and I changed quite a
lot of things. Most important for my question is, I also changed quite a few
translatable strings (now I'm also using the i18n method with comments and
the plural-handling one). And I ran into some problems when trying to extract
them for translation. The tutorial on i18n mentions xgettext and how to
extract translatable strings, but it fails to mention that KDE SVN uses a
patched version of xgettext (I think this should really be mentioned in the
i18n HOWTO, not only in the scripty HOWTO, as it gave my quite a headache to
find out why the standard gettext on my system failed to handle KDE's
i18n-functions correctly).

Now I found, patched & compiled gettext 0.10.35, but I'm still not sure how to
get it to extract all of the strings marked as translatable and treat them
the right way. I'm hoping someone can point me to the right direction. I need
to extract translatable strings from my sources, including those with
comments and those that handle plural forms of messages.

Bye,
Michael

--
"I just played poker with some cultists."
"Cthulhu's?"