List:       kde-devel
Subject:    How to properly correct compile KDE SVN apps while having 2 separate
From:       crazyned () nerdshack ! com
Date:       2006-07-20 15:20:25

Using Kubuntu Dapper, I have compiled KDE 3.5 branch from SVN, following the
instructions, putting patched qt-copy in a local directory. I left my old Qt3
on the system, to keep dependencies sound and to have the standard non-debug
build for good keeping.

Anyway, this is running into problems. Now that I'm trying to build amaroK
SVN, I see that its .la files are being created in such a way that they want
to link in the system library /usr/lib/libqt-mt.la before trying the local
file $QTDIR/lib/libqt-mt.la (ltmain.sh is apparently setting their
dependency_libs this way, so that the one in /usr/lib precedes the other).

I have set QTDIR, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_RUN_PATH correctly, and even tried
configuring with --with-qt-dir* explicitly ahead of time. If I simply reorder
or delete the reference to /usr/lib/libqt-mt.la, or move the system files
before configure/make, things are ok, but, of course, that's not what I want
to do. Instead, I'd like to find the proper way I should be building apps
with in this manner.

Right now, I'm trying to go through ltmain.sh (from
extragear/multimedia/admin) to see how exactly thse files are generated so I
can try to figure this out.. but it's quite complicated. I'm not even too
familiar with the intricacies of the underlying GNU build system, much less
the KDE build system, so I'm hoping to be pointed in the right direction. I
imagine I am missing a simply parameter somewhere..

Can someone explain to me how to make sure, when building/linking, that the qt
lib from the custom local library path is always tried first, ahead of the
one from /usr/lib?

crazyned