List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: monitor file system activity
From:       mETz <mETz81 () web ! de>
Date:       2006-07-16 11:30:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday July 16 2006 09:11, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Navindra Umanee napisaƂ(a):
> > When I run KDE my disk gets accessed every fraction of a second.  I
> > would like to find out what is doing this.  I've been trying to kill
> > processes but nothing short of "init 3" seems to help so far.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a tool that will tell me in real time what file is
> > being accessed by which process?  Something like FileMon but for Linux
> > (couldn't find the Linux version).
>
> lsof prints all open files for all processes.

Which is useless because it does not show _activity_.

Btw, I had a similar problem on my laptop and found klaptopdaemon to print out
some ugly "QFile: Cannot open file" error into ~/.xession-errors every few
seconds (it's even a bug on b.k.o). I have similar activity on my pc but
couldn't find out what's keeping the hdd busy (no klaptopdaemon here of
course).

Bye
Stefan aka mETz