List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded development
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-13 7:05:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 22:02, Nasser wrote:
> I am beginning to get into KDE and am in the process of learning Qt using

welcome to the project =)

> Initially however, I think I will concentrate on a simple project to
> undertake. If you have any suggestion on a nice introductory project for
> me, I would appreciate that!

were i to be extremely self centered i'd ask for a podcast manager (writing
the rss by hand for radio.kde.org sucked) ... but i won't.

we're certainly in need of a desktop data backup tool for kde4. there is
keep[1] for kde3 which would need to be ported, and they do need more
developers on the project[2]. besides the features already listed, it would
be nice if one could instruct it to "back up my mail" without having to know
where that is necessarily.

the akonadi people also are looking for more hands. as is the phonon project.
though i don't think either of those are "introductory" level, i'm sure
either team would be happy to point you in the direction of simple tasks to
undertake ...

just my random thoughts; if you browse kde's svn i'm sure you can find all
sorts of inspiration.

and often i just ask people: "what do you find yourself wanting for when using
kde?" few things as powerful as scratching that itch. =)

[1] http://jr.falleri.free.fr/keep/wiki/Home
[2] http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=32984

--
Aaron J. Seigo