List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt4 Themes
From:       Thomas =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCbking?= <thomas.luebking () web ! de>
Date:       2006-06-28 15:41:42

Am Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2006 14:17 schrieb Sandro Giessl:
> But this discussion triggered a question which I think is much more
> important: Should KStyle4 be a (a) helper-wrapper-class, or should we (b)
> introduce an extended style API for KDE4 widgets/apps to style their look?
>
> (a) is what we had in KDE3 and what's on the way with KStyle4 currently. It
> doesn't make it possible to e.g. add new widget types. Everything either
> needs to use the QStyle API for painting, use a different theming system,
> or do hardcoded painting...
>
> (b) might be able to solve this. The downside is that these KDE apps won't
> be able to use QStyles anymore because the special KStyleControlElements
> and KStyleComplexControls won't be implemented there.

to address (b) one could
1. bug trolltech to slightly modify the QStyleApi in that drawPE, drawCC and
drawC return bool rather than void
2. extend the C,CC and PE enums to fit our needs (above custombase?)
3. have widget developers call "if (!style()->draw*()) {then draw an ugly
fallback and maybe mourn with a warning}"

Thomas
--
Fear... Fear attracts the fearfull.
The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt.