List:       kde-devel
Subject:    can cmake be smarter about installing dependent libs?
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2006-06-20 16:57:31

Hello,

I just updated and installed the new kdelibs4_snapshot.  However, when I tried
to run my app, I got:
kstars: symbol lookup error: /home/kstars/kde4/lib/libkhtml.so.5: undefined
symbol: _ZN11KDialogBase16staticMetaObjectE

uh oh, why does libkhtml have a KDialogBase symbol?  Maybe I'm somehow picking
up an old version of libkhtml?

$ ldd $(which kstars) | grep html
        libkhtml.so.4 => /home/kstars/kde4/lib/libkhtml.so.4
        libkhtml.so.5 => /home/kstars/kde4/lib/libkhtml.so.5

Sure enough.  The reason?  Because when I run "make" in the kdeedu/kstars
directory, it's smart enough to know that it first needs to compile the
dependent libraries in kdeedu/libkdeedu.  But when I run "make install" from
the kstars dir, it does not install the newly-compiled libs.  I need to run
"make install" from kdeedu/libkdeedu, and I inevitably forget, because I have
been lulled into complacency by how smart cmake is in auto-compiling these
dependencies.

Can it be made similarly smart with regard to "make install"?

thanks,
Jason

PS- Interestingly, it is libkhtml.so.5 that is the outdated lib, not
libkhtml.so.4.