List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Replacing KDE's Open/Save dialogue
From:       Frans Englich <englich () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-15 17:50:27

On Thursday 15 June 2006 17:41, Amr Ramadan wrote:
> I want to replace KDE's Open/Save dialogues with my own. I either want to
> do a complete replace, or augment the current ones with something like a
> button that flips to another window which has the added behaviour.

You shouldn't do that, is my initial reaction. At least, it needs a very
careful consideration.

The reason is that one of the major points is consistency, which is a central
key to improved usability.

[...]
> In kdelibs, I edited KFileDialoge.cpp so that the procedures show, exec and
> setOperationMode create new objects of my derived class and then call the
> respective function in them.

This will not hold for anything but your local hard drive, since you've
patched kdelibs to depend on your local things.

> Next, I add to Makefile.am the header and source files of my derived class,
> compile and install. Now, after installation, when I compile a new program,
> and link it against the supposedly updated libraries now, it still displays
> the original dialoge boxes!!
>
> Is there something I misunderstand? Is it possible not to need to recompile
> all programs so that they would use the new libraries, after all, they are
> linked dynamically!!

Many thing could have gone wrong:

* You are in fact not linking to your new library, but some other library on
your hd. Check by doing `ldd <yourlibrary>`
* You expect your changes to pop up somewhere in a program that hasn't been
restarted. KDE for various reasons has changed the way programs are invoked,
into forking from an existing process, basically. This can be disabled by
using export KDE_IS_PRELINKED="dummy" in the shell your KDE session is
running.

Cheers,

		Frans