List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing at ten?
From:       Frank Osterfeld <frank.osterfeld () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-04-30 22:43:20

Hi!

On Sunday 30 April 2006 18:20, Allan Sadun wrote:

> 1. What do I need to know?
> 2. What applications/languages should I use?
> 5. How much experience do I need?

To answer these questions and to give you useful advice, it would be good to
know how if you already have some programming experience or not. If you have,
which language(s) do you already have written programs in, and what kind of
programs? Depending on your knowledge we can point you to appriopriate
tutorials and other material.

> 4. Am I too young to start developing? (I'm only 10)

I don't think so. There is no particular knowledge one needs to start
programming a 10 year old couldn't have or couldn't learn on the way. Some
skill in mathematics and "logical thinking" will help though.
The good thing is, programming is something you can explore by "playing
around". You can have fun with simple "Hello World"-style programs or doing
some introductionary tutorial in an afternoon or two. Of course, becoming a
good developer needs a lot more time. But if you get into it and enjoy
programming, you will continue learning automatically. Just try it :)

Regards,

Frank