List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Developing at ten?
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-04-30 16:45:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 April 2006 18:20, Allan Sadun wrote:
> I would like to start developing for KDE, and I can't figure out if I can,
> and if so, how I can. I've read the "How to Help" page, and it hasn't
> really helped me. This dilemna has lead to a lot of questions; can anyone
> answer them?
>
> 0. Is this the right place to ask these questions?

Yes, definitely

> 1. What do I need to know?

Depends on what you want to do.
For example applications can be created in a couple of programming languages
through our language bindings so it is not necessary to know a specific
programming language.
Developing KDE libraries not only requires to know C++ but also to know quite
a lot about software engineering theory.

> 2. What applications/languages should I use?

Beginners usually find it easier to use an IDE, for example KDevelop or
Eclipse, sometimes working with an advanced text editor like Kate, Emacs or
VIM is personally preferred by some developers.

The choice of language depends on what you like best and what you like to work
on (see above), for example writing SuperKaramba themes requires Python.

> 3. What part of KDE should I work on?

From my exerience I'd start with a simple application, toying around with KDE
features. Unless you are very new to a programming language then my advise
would be to start language tutorials and later come back to KDE.

> 4. Am I too young to start developing? (I'm only 10)

I guess it is a matter of being able to understand concepts, usually but not
necessarily tied to age.
As long as you have fun doing it, you should be doing it.

> 5. How much experience do I need?

See answer to (1)

> 6. Do I write .diff files, .cpp files, both, or others?

.diff files are always generated, you'll write source files

> 7. When I'm done, how do I get it into KDE?

Depends what you mean with "get into"

Cheers,
Kevin
--