List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PHONON on win32
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-04-27 22:28:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 27 April 2006 18:21, Karol Pietrzak wrote:
> Quick question: How does Phonon relate to GStreamer?  I thought GStreamer
> was going to be the multimedia framework for KDE.  Someone care to
> enlighten me? Thanks for ahead of time for any replies! :)

Phonon is the response to the aRts debacle in KDE 3.  aRts was to be the
multimedia framework for KDE, starting from KDE 2 IIRC.  Over the lifetime of
KDE 3, the aRts code became unmaintained.  So while projects like gstreamer
and NMM (eventually) advanced the state of Linux multimedia, we were stuck
with aRts because we had to remain backward compatible at a binary level.

With KDE 4, applications will be binary compatible with Phonon instead.  So
should something even better than gstreamer come along, we'll be able to
integrate it into Phonon and still make use of it, without being tied to a
specific multimedia framework.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne