List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: aRts failures in KDE 3.5.2
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-04-22 8:08:36

On Saturday 08 April 2006 20:19, S.?a?lar Onur wrote:
> Cumartesi 8 Nisan 2006 22:15 tarihinde, David Jarvie ?unlar? yazm??t?:
> > Whenever KAlarm calls  KDE::PlayObjectFactory::mimeTypes() in KDE 3.5.2
> > (arts 1.5.2), it crashes without a crash trace, outputting the following
> > message on the terminal:
> >
> > ***MEMORY-ERROR***: [13838]: GSlice: failed to allocate 248 bytes
> > (alignment: 256): Invalid argument
> >
> > What is the cause of this? Or what could I do to investigate further?
>
> Glib2
>
> > I'm not sure whether this fault began with KDE 3.5.2 - it could have
> > occurred earlier but I just didn't happen to try to use the function
> > which fails. But I've found that since my 3.5.2 upgrade, notification
> > sounds don't work. Downgrading to arts 1.5.1 hasn't helped, which makes
> > me wonder if it's something in kdelibs which is responsible.
>
> Use glib > 2.10.1 || < 2.10 (preferred) but not 2.10.0

Debian libglib2 version 2.10.2 still produces the error. Is this an actual bug
in glib2, or is it because aRts is incompatible in some way? If it is a bug,
do you know the Debian bug report number - I couldn't find it when I
searched. Is there any way of compiling aRts so that it works with this
version?

I'd like to upgrade to the current version of libglib2 because a number of
other packages depend on it, if only I could get aRts to work with it.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.