List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abput DCOP
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-03-27 9:54:34

On Sunday 26 March 2006 08:38, Andreas Silberstorff wrote:
> And where DCOP was simple, D-Bus is designed to be interoperable
>
> > with other languages other than C++/Qt.
DCOP is very easy to make interoperate with other languages. Athough some of
the KDE interfaces use method overloading on the arg types, which is a bit
more tricky. We have several interfaces to DCOP in non-C++ languages - for
Python, Ruby, Perl, Java, JavaScript and shell scripts.

I hope it will be just as easy to interface with DBUS. I think it will be up
to the developers of C++ apps to ensure they don't go overboard with nested
custom structs or whatever with DBUS, and stick to things like simple string
lists or hashes which can be easily represented in any of the above
languages.

-- Richard