List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [newbie/annoying question] place to start? junior bugs?
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-23 14:28:01

On Thursday 23 March 2006 09:10, Chris Humphries wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I am interested in the conversion to qt 4.1 with kde,
>  yet realize I need to crawl before walking.
> 	From reading the kde website, I subscribed to some
>  mailing lists and looked at junior bugs. I also reviewed the
>  qt 4.1 and 4.0 changes from 3.x (I haven't touched qt in a
>  long time).
>
> 	I use kopete now instead of gaim, so thinking may try
>  to work on those.
>
> 	Been exploring using KDE as "platform" (in the same
>  way windows and osx is a platform), and liking it so far. Sure
>  some of the apps may not be as good as some others (xmms,
>  mplayer, vlc, etc) but that is ok. I believe this is a more
>  solid foundation and direction (versus other desktops I have
>  experience with coding *cough*GObject*cough*).
>
> 	So, just curious of your opinion on direction to start?
>  I know C++, QT 3.x, unix and g++ etc tools, and have experience
>  working on big projects. My day job is a programmer (not in
>  C++, but in other languages doing non-gui related work so this
>  will be a nice change and not feel so much like "work").
>
> 	I am currently using ubuntu dapper, with kubuntu packages.
>  Will have to setup a vmware or qemu session for testing purposes.
>  Anyways, coffee is working now (09:10 here at the moment).

First, someone else working in the same timezone as me would be a very
welcome addition to the KDE project ;>

I'm biased, but we really need help in the kdepim module (KMail, KOrganizer, KNode, etc.)
This is a difficult time to get started with KDE as we are between major versions.

But if you are interested in kdepim, you might want to join us on IRC, irc.kde.org  #kontact.

Regards,
Allen
--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE