List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: I have an extra toolbar
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-19 11:21:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Jason,

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 17:53, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My XMLGUI file specifies two toolbars, named "kstarsToolBar" and
> "viewToolBar" (see attached kstarsui.rc).  The one named "kstarsToolBar"
> has a <text> property of "Main Toolbar", and the one named "viewToolbar"
> has a <text> property of "View Toolbar".
>
> When I run kstars, I am actually getting three toolbars; two are populated
> with buttons as described in the XMLGUI file, and the third is empty.  When
> I hold the mouse cursor above each toolbar's handle, I get tooltip text:
> "Main Toolbar (KStars)" and "View Toolbar (KStars)" for the non-empty
> toolbars, and "kstarsToolbar" for the empty toolbar.  In other words, the
> populated toolbars show the <text> property value (plus "(KStars)"), while
> the extra empty toolbar shows the *name* value of one of the first two
> toolbars!
>
> Any ideas why I am getting this extra toolbar?  I can't be sure, but I
> don't think this was happening before I updated kdelibs4_snapshot this
> morning, although it's possible I never noticed the empty toolbar before
> today.  I say this because the empty toolbar's "handle" doesn't appear in
> the GUI until I uncheck and then re-check "Settings|Toolbars|Show Main
> Toolbar".  After doing that then I see the handle widget for the third
> toolbar.  However, even when I can't see its handle, I know the toolbar is
> present, because I added a debug that prints toolBarList().size(): the
> value is 3, even at startup.
>
> Note: the apidox for KMainWindow::toolBar(const char*name) says that if no
> KToolBar exists with the given name, then one will be created.  So my guess
> is that somehow when I use 'toolBar("kstarsToolBar")' in the code, it
> doesn't think that toolbar exists for some reason, so it creates one with
> that name. If this is the case, however, then why do I not also have an
> extra toolbar mirroring "viewToolBar"?
>
> I thought that maybe the problem was related to my use of
> KToolBar::insertWidget(), which doesn't actually work yet.  However,
> disabling this part of the code didn't get rid of my phantom toolbar.

For a second I thought I could reproduce this problem with kdelibs head (I'm
using konqueror as my main test program), but it turned out to be a problem
with the kttsd plugin .rc file.

If the problem persists once kstars is ported to the next snapshot, I'll be
happy to take a look for you.

Cheers,
Hamish.