List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Typing unicode
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-02 18:22:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
>> If we accept that in a KDE application (and we do, because I'm typing
>> this email in KMail and I used the compose sequence), can't we send
>> the same thing to the application?
>
>The problem, I think, is for character which your keyboard layout does
> not have a mapping for. Try typing a greek letter with an US
> keyboard...

I don't know why anyone would intentionally use the standard U.S.
keyboard...

They should at least use the U.S. + ISO-9995-3 layout, which enables the
AltGr key with ISO-9995-3 layout. You'll get characters like æ, ĸ,  «,  »
for free.

But this is exactly the point here: we cannot have the full Unicode
character set mapped to a keypress or composition. (ok, we could add
<compose> <1> <e> <8> <3>: "ẃ" U1e83 to the Compose map)

>Maybe an hack could be to "copy" the character to the clipboard and
> "paste" it immediately.

Why can't you send U1e83?

The problem, however, is if your *locale* doesn't support it *and* you're
not running a KDE application. But I'll say "screw it; if you want to
enter any character with your keyboard, switch to UTF-8 or use a Qt
application".

I can type the Euro sign (€) using AltGr+e in KWrite even if I launch it
under LC_ALL=C.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.