List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Typing unicode
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-02 17:45:39

As SCIM is an input method platform ( http://www.scim-im.org), it is
straight forward to implement such kind of functionality. In fact,
SCIM provides a built-in IMEngine, called rawcode, via which any
unicode can be inputted.

So if you use SCIM, then you can use rawcode input method whenever you
want to input ANY unicode character directly (given you know its code)

In my opinion, khotkeys is not the right place for this kind of purpose.

On 3/3/06, John Tapsell <johnflux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah I haven't quite solved this problem.  At the moment it just
> prints "hello!" heh. I was hoping it would be easy to fix :/
>
> On 3/2/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 March 2006 16:25, John Tapsell wrote:
> > > Since somebody brought up keys...
> > >
> > > I wrote a patch that let's you do alt-gr + a number to type in a
> > > unicode number, like in windows.  If you look on wikipedia for some
> > > symbol, it always has how to type it in windows, how to type on the
> > > mac, but never how to type in kde :(
> >
> >  That's #82260.
> >
> > > So what I did was I hijacked khotkeys.  When you type in alt-gr+number
> > > a popup in the top left comes up and shows what you have typed so far.
> > >  Then when you have typed the right number of keys, it inserts that
> > > character.
> > >
> > > It's a hack at the moment, and I'm too embarrassed by the code to even
> > > show the patch.  But I wanted feedback on whether this was a good way
> > > to procede.  Admittedly it would only work in kde etc, but the plus
> > > side of that is then we can have the popup come up as you type it (and
> > > I plan to have it show a preview of your options).  Should I continue
> > > this way, or do it or another way?  Or is it a stupid idea? :)
> >
> >  The problem there is - how are you going to feed that character to the
> > running application? If you add this feature to khotkeys then after khotkeys
> > handles the user input and knows it has to enter <some char> to the running
> > app, it needs to tell it. Input action in khotkeys simply sends XKeyEvent to
> > the active app, but that one only contains keycode and modifiers state. And
> > you cannot enter <some obscure unicode char> this way if you can't find the
> > keycode and modifiers state for it (and you generally can't, otherwise you'd
> > simply type it in normally). So I think this needs at least some code in the
> > applications for it.
> >
> > --
> > Lubos Lunak
> > KDE developer