List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Typing unicode
From:       "John Tapsell" <johnflux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-02 15:25:10

Since somebody brought up keys...

I wrote a patch that let's you do alt-gr + a number to type in a
unicode number, like in windows.  If you look on wikipedia for some
symbol, it always has how to type it in windows, how to type on the
mac, but never how to type in kde :(

So what I did was I hijacked khotkeys.  When you type in alt-gr+number
a popup in the top left comes up and shows what you have typed so far.
 Then when you have typed the right number of keys, it inserts that
character.

It's a hack at the moment, and I'm too embarrassed by the code to even
show the patch.  But I wanted feedback on whether this was a good way
to procede.  Admittedly it would only work in kde etc, but the plus
side of that is then we can have the popup come up as you type it (and
I plan to have it show a preview of your options).  Should I continue
this way, or do it or another way?  Or is it a stupid idea? :)

JohnFlux