List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kcontrol empty after update to 3.5.1
From:       Andre Bischof <a.bischof () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-02-28 22:22:36

Hello,

after an update to kde 3.5.1 my menu vanished and my control-center
shows only the module "peripherals".

I solved the menu problem by googling the hint to do "kbuildsycoca
--noincremental" after deleting
.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu, that helped.

But for the almost empty control-center I can't find anything useful
searching the net.

Discussing that problem in debian-user-german brought alot of help, but
didn't solve the problem.

I tried adding a new user, starting from within an xterm and doing
"strace kcontrol". strace says:

connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)

no clue what kcontrol tries with nscd, but I don't think this is the
problem, or am I wrong?

Furthermore:
access("/usr/lib/qt3/plugins/codecs/.", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)

which shouldn't be the problem either (correct me if I'm wrong)

Last but not least:
read(3, Xlib:  extension "XInputExtension" missing on display
"localhost.localdomain:1.0".
Failed to get list of devices

which is an error I also get while starting out of an xterm.

I looked for files in /usr/lib/kde3, which are there (kcm_*.so), and
corresponding files in /usr/share/applications/kde (*.desktop), they are
there.

The *.desktop files point to kcontrol:

X-KDE-Library=arts
X-KDE-Init=arts
X-KDE-ParentApp=kcontrol

One thing that looks wrong for me: After the update, there are about 100
entries in "Nicht zuzuordnen" in the k-menu, which means s.th. like
"Don't know where to put them" in English (sorry, I don't know the
correct translation of this menu, my system language is german - hope
you can guess what I mean).

Under "settings" and this menu mentioned above are entries, which should
be linked in kcontrol.

Is there a possibility to build kcontrol again (I tried aptitude
reinstall kcontrol and dpkg-reconfigure kcontrol without success) -
maybe s.th. like "kbuildsycoca ..." for the menu? (As you can guess now,
I use Debian with kde/testing :-)

Or do you have any other hints for me to get kcontrol filled with the
modules again?

If you need more information from me, please let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Andre

--
Personal weblog and more: http://bischof.homelinux.net