List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Abput DCOP
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-02-24 14:21:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Joaquín Fernández Quiles wrote:
>Hi.. I am developing a program for KDE and i have read several post
> about DCOP. I was wondering what is DCOP? for what is? how can i use
> it?
>
>I have read some links but are a few complicated for me.

DCOP stands for Desktop COmmunication Protocol. It's the Inter-Process
Communication and Remote Procedure Calling (IPC, RPC for short) mechanism
that we use throughout KDE. It has existed since 1999 and has been a part
of KDE since 2.0's betas.

It's a really simple message-passing mechanism that relies on existing
technologies (namely, ICE and Qt's QDataStream).

You can create DCOP interfaces by writing abstract C++ classes and
processing them with the proper dcopidl* tools. The KDE buildsystem
automatically does that for you if you declare your files as *.skel or
*.stub.

However, we're probably going to phase DCOP out for KDE 4. For many
reasons, we're investigating alternatives and the current front-runner is
D-Bus. There's a high probability that KDE 4 will use D-Bus instead of
DCOP. And where DCOP was simple, D-Bus is designed to be interoperable
with other languages other than C++/Qt.

As an anecdote, the day DCOP was introduced in KDE became later known
as "the day we made KDE 10 times faster", because it replaced the CORBA
solution that was there, or so I'm told. I wasn't around yet to witness
that event. :-)

Disclaimer: I am the current maintainer of the QtDBus library and probably
the main advocate for its use.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."