List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konsole kpart: Konsole is unable to open a PTY...
From:       Karim Ryde <karim () bredband ! net>
Date:       2006-02-03 17:35:39

On Friday 3 February 2006 18:06, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:01:24PM +0100, Karim Ryde wrote:

> > > ok, now i'm sure that the message is bogus; the konsole_part
> > > (TESession::run()) is b0rked.
> > > for the rest of the code ... starting two commands in one part sure
> > > looks suspicious. what are you trying to do?
> >
> > I wanted to test if I could use Konsole_part as replacement for KProcess,
> > and also allowing user to type entries if the started process demand
> > that.
>
> this is a bit too vague (for me, at least :). what would be the exact
> sequence of events. in particular, which cases need *not* to be handled?

I see that _one_ startProgram works.

I'm working on a frontend to Gentoo emerge - kuroo.
See http://tux.myftp.org/kuroo/wiki/KurooDev

Fex:
1. Launch "emerge -pv app-admin/sudo"
2. Collect all output line-by-line from konsole
3. Konsole emit signal that program has terminated.

Or:
1. Launch "emerge quake3"
2. User agrees to license when prompted for
3. Emerge continues ..
4. Collect all output line-by-line from konsole
5. Konsole emit signal that program has terminated.

Or:
1. Launch "emerge mozilla-firefox"
2. User wants to abort process -> program is called cleanly together with all
childprocesses.
3. Konsole emit signal that program has terminated.

Also if possible - if user could start sudo as first step since installation
requires su.

One nice side-feature would be that emerge's spinning prompt and colored
output would be the same for the user.

Well .. just some thoughts ;-)