List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konsole kpart: Konsole is unable to open a PTY...
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-02-02 21:57:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 02 February 2006 11:19, Karim Ryde wrote:
> Tried that without success.
>
> Same error:
> "Konsole is unable to open a PTY (pseudo teletype). It is likely that this
> is due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Konsole needs to
> have read/write access to the PTY devices."
>
> > Regards,
> >  - Michael Pyne

Is the kgrantpty program installed and is it setuid?  I believe Konsole uses
that helper program to actually open PTYs in read/write mode.  Should be part
of kdebase.

If it's not setuid, doing the following should correct the permissions:

$ sudo chown root:root /path/to/kgrantpty
$ sudo chmod u+s /path/to/kgrantpty

This makes the kgrantpty program owned by root, and the sticky bit makes it
run as root.

If it's still not working after that, I'm not sure what would be wrong.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne