List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: khotkeys
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-01-31 10:27:17

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:55, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> neha gupta wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > I have used a script to set KHotKeys for an application.
> >
> > The file $HOME/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc is modified for this.
> > Since each user has a different khotkeysrc file, it has to be modified
> > for each user. A simple way to do this is to identify all the users(
> > again using a script) and then set hotkeys for each user using my script.
> > But is there a better way to do this eg a .update file etc...........
> > Since any software should not be going changing files of each user....
>
> Create $KDEDIR/share/config/khotkeysrc and put the settings you want there.
> See the User Guide, section "KDE for admins" on docs.kde.org

 Modifying the global config file probably wouldn't work for khotkeys. It
doesn't use distinct config keys for various settings but uses several
similar config groups that are numbered, so altering the global file could
break the configuration as seen by KConfig.

 Have a look at kdebase/khotkeys/data, there are two sets of khotkeys actions
that are automatically added to the config file. You can use e.g. the
konqueror_gestures_* ones as a template. Backup your local khotkeysrc file,
clear all actions and add the ones you want. Then quit, use make the
*.khotkeys file from khotkeysrc, and don't forget to add ImportId= in the
[Main] section. You can also test importing it in the global settings in the
UI.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer