List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDF and Kwikdisk
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-30 20:49:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 30 January 2006 15:27, Thomas King wrote:
> Please point me to the correct list if need be. I've checked with the
> original author, and I've asked this on kde-linux, kde-quality, and
> kde-english-docs.

As you've noticed, the application seems terribly unmaintained; is it really a
good subject for a newbie tutorial to use something that is unmaintained,
unexaplains and possibly full of egregious bugs (caused by bitrot more than
anything else)?

> First question: Under configuring KwikDisk, I see a box with labels Icon,
> Device, Type, Size, Mount Point, Free, Full%, and Usage. If I click on one
> or more of those entries and it goes to "hidden", I see no change in
> KwikDisk or in KDiskFree...again, this is the KwikDisk configuration only.
> What is the function for this box?

I think it is code-reuse gone awry.

> Last question: In the "Mount Commands" tab, the Get Mount/Unmount Command
> boxes bring up a file browser. What kind of file are we looking for, or
> does it matter? I also made an assumption if those areas are blank that the
> normal "mount" and "umount" commands are used with no arguments. Am I
> assuming correctly?

It looks like you select an executable for mount/unmount there. Perhaps a
shell script if you need to do fancy stuff. I wouldn't necessarily assume
that blank means anything useful.

Anyway, this whole app looks like it was thrown over the fence from KDE2 (who
in their right mind would use this particular UI for enabling/disabling
columns now?) and has rotted since.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot